About Topson Downs:
Established in 1971, Topson Downs (www.topsondowns.com) has evolved into an industry leader both in the branded and private label segments of the garment business, with more than 350 associates based in Los Angeles, New York, and throughout Asia. Be it denim jeans, high-fashion tops and dresses for juniors and young women, or ground-breaking street wear for men, we are committed to creating and producing quality garments while being socially and ethically responsible. Through our global sourcing base, we are currently producing over 50 million units per year for many of the leading retailers in all tiers of the market, with our factories being closely supervised by our Global Quality Assurance and Social Compliance teams.
What is my role?
Responsible for designing and managing a junior’s apparel independently throughout development process to pre-production hand-over.
What do I do?
· Actively participate in the conceptual development of specific accounts by retail needs with Sales and Lead.
· Actively participate in the conceptual development of the Market line as needed, with Creative Director.
· Create seasonal color palette and concepts according to calendar.
· Provide direction for art development to Creative Director, understanding print/graphic design for appropriate direction.
· Understands execution of garment, fabrication and technical design to fit various price points.
· Assist Lead with researching and shopping the domestic/international markets in order to identify new trends, fabrics, techniques, etc.
· Creates full collections and sketches of styles in development with Retailer and market needs in Illustrator.
· Design for special projects.
· Execute CAD requests and special projects.
· Keeps a calendar with deadlines to ensure all needs are met for each retail need/market.
· Lead fittings and provide comments.
· Responsible for completion and handoff of tech info for pre-pro.
· Partner with Production Team to maintain the level of integrity of garment from sample stage to final production with Lead.
· Manage the production approvals with Licensing Brand Managers.
· Responsible for fabric and trim direction / selection with Lead, working with PD Team.
What are the qualifications?
· Preferably 5+ years previous experience designing junior’s apparel
· College degree in Fashion Design or related field preferable
· Strong presentation skills and computer sketching.
· In-depth knowledge of silhouette, fabrication, construction and trim research.
· Strong in Illustrator - Ability to design collections from concept through final samples/production in sketch form
· Proficient in Photoshop.
· Understanding of merchandising process.
· Strong sense of color and ability to create art direction
· Excellent organizational, time management and communication skills.
· Must be innovative, creative, task-oriented and highly productive.
· Must thrive in fast paced environment and be capable of working with major retailers across the country
· Travel to China will be necessary so familiarity with overseas factories is a plus